Thursday, September 1, 2011

[201] WAM Narrative

When entering the Weatherspoon Art Museum from the back I tried to experience the building from the perspective of someone who had never been there before. At the entrance I first saw the large iron gates that brought me toward the opening. From way back in the parking lot I could not see an entrance into the building; the only thing i saw was the outside garden, the brick wall to the building, and the high narrow window going all the way to the top of the building, but the openness of the iron gates and the brick walls on each side led me into the garden area. In this area there were trees and a few pieces of art. Over to the left is where I saw doors going into the building. I had to cross paths in between columns to enter on the path that leads into the doors. After going through the first doors I went into the second set of doors and I was then standing in the main circulation of the museum. The first thing I noticed was the large amount of light coming in from the open oval shape in the ceiling that opened up to the sky and how if blinded the walls and floor with light. I walked over to the hallway towards the right and at the end was a huge rectangle window covering the entire end of the hallway that brought in blinding light. Then, I noticed the stairs on the other side of the main entrance that were half-way behind one column. At the top of the first set of these stairs was another bright blinding light coming in from tall rectangular windows that curved along the side of the curved wall to the building. At the top of the second set of stairs was a small wooden door with a small circular window in the top. I went through this door and on the second floor was another hallway leading to light pouring in from a window at the end of the hallway and to the left was a large circular window that looked out across the street. The columns from the front entrance to the building were directly in front of the window blocking a lot of the view.  As I went down the hall to see inside the rooms where they display the art exhibits, I saw that the light was a lot dimmer inside of these rooms. There was only the glow of the lights shining around the pictures on the wall to light the space drawing attention to the art.

No comments:

Post a Comment